The Vizient Quality and Accountability study compares safety, timeliness, effectiveness, efficiency, equity and patient-centeredness among 107 academic medical centers.
Froedtert Hospital rose from No. 4 last year to No. 3 in this year’s study, ranking behind the Mayo Clinic Hospital in Rochester, Minnesota, which topped the list, and New York University’s Langone Medical Center, which came in at No. 2. Froedtert Hospital was the only academic medical center in Wisconsin to make the list.
In order, the top 12 academic medical centers in the country, according to the study, are:
- Mayo Clinic – Rochester
- NYU Langone Health
- Froedtert & the Medical College of Wisconsin – Froedtert Hospital
- Rush University Medical Center
- Penn State Health Milton S. Hershey Medical Center
- University of Utah Health
- UCHealth University of Colorado Hospital
- Lehigh Valley Health Network
- University of Texas Medical Branch at Galveston
- The University of Kansas Hospital
- Nebraska Medicine
- Oregon Health & Science University Hospital
“Sustaining our leadership position over three years in a national field of highly accomplished academic medical centers speaks powerfully about our unrelenting focus on quality,” said Cathy Jacobson, president and chief executive officer of Froedtert Health. “Of all the health care quality rankings out there, Vizient is our ‘true north’ because it evaluates all care rather than just a certain subset of patients or conditions, and stringently compares us to peer organizations in areas that truly make a difference in improving health care quality.”
Froedtert & MCW health network’s hospitals are also recognized in the study. Among 161 community hospitals, Froedtert & MCW St Joseph’s Hospital in West Bend ranked No. 2 and Community Memorial Hospital in Menomonee Falls ranked No. 9.
The top-ranked community hospitals, according to the study are:
- Mayo Clinic Health System in Red Wing
- Froedtert & the Medical College of Wisconsin St. Joseph’s Hospital
- Forest Baptist Health – Lexington Medical Center
- Cleveland Clinic Lutheran Hospital
- Sanford Worthington Medical Center
- ThedaCare Medical Center – Shawano
- Missouri Baptist Sullivan Hospital
- Truman Medical Centers Lakewood
- Froedtert & the Medical College of Wisconsin Community Memorial Hospital
Froedtert Health is one of two organizations to be recognized for implementing digital health technology solutions that improved clinical efficiency or care delivery resulting in improved patient experience. Froedtert Health and University of California, Irvine Health both received that recognition.