Wisconsin Biohealth Summit
Leading the Way Forward:
Addressing Future Challenges Now
October 12 | Madison, Wisconsin | Overture Center for the Arts
Learn from speakers ranging from world-class researchers to biohealth executives.
Connect with over 550 industry peers in one-on-one and small group networking.
Boost retention, engage them in the community, and foster professional development.
With the awards luncheon & evening reception, there are lots of chances to celebrate the industry.
BioForward Wisconsin’s annual Biohealth Summit is the largest of its kind in Wisconsin and serves as a platform to celebrate Wisconsin biohealth community successes and collaborate on what’s next for our booming industry.
- Meet and network with industry peers, executives, investors, and researchers from organizations such as GE Healthcare, PPD, Labcorp, Millipore Sigma, Gilson, Catalent, WARF, Advocate Aurora Health, Illumina, Medical College of Wisconsin, Eurofins, Aldevron, Sterling Pharma, UW-Madison, Yahara Software, Versiti, Morgridge Institute for Research, Exact Sciences, and Promega
- Stimulating keynote presentations and panel discussions
- Enjoy our 8th annual business and scientific achievement awards during a lunchtime presentation, and don’t miss our 2nd annual biohealth communications competition
Leading the Way Forward
Program at a Glance
BioForward staff is actively putting together sessions! Check back soon for more details.
Location: Capitol Theatre Lobby
Welcome from BioForward
Location: Capitol Theatre
A brief intro featuring member and initiative news. Prepare for music and fun.
Lisa Johnson, CEO, BioForward
Location: Capitol Theatre
From Investment to Continued Success: Utilizing Strategic Resources to Build Lasting Value in Growth Companies. Case Study- The Aldevron Story
TA is a leading global growth private equity firm with offices in Boston, Menlo Park, Austin, London, Mumbai, and Hong Kong. The firm invests in profitable, growing companies around the world with opportunities for sustained growth. Investing as either a majority or minority investor, the firm employs a long-term approach, utilizing its strategic resources to help management teams build lasting value in growth companies. TA has raised $47.5 billion in capital and has invested in more than 560 companies since its founding in 1968.
TA was the first institutional investor in Aldevron, a Fargo, ND, and Madison, WI-based company that provides critical nucleic acids and proteins used to make gene and cell therapies, DNA and RNA vaccines, and gene editing technologies. Aldevron sold a majority interest to EQT (STO: EQT) in October 2019, while management and TA retained a minority stake. Aldevron was acquired by Danaher (NYSE: DHR) in August 2021. Ethan, a Managing Director at TA who led the Aldevron investment, will share the Aldevron story from its founding in 1999 by entrepreneur Michael Chambers in a lab at North Dakota State University to its continued success today as a part of Danaher’s Life Sciences division.
Therapies & Theranostics in Medical Imaging
There is a revolution underway in imaging-based therapies, and several companies with a Wisconsin presence are helping to advance the state of the art. New advances in radiation therapies, isotopes, and tracers improve their effectiveness, while imaging and therapies join to provide new capabilities in the emerging world of theranostics. Join us for a panel session with SHINE Technologies, Accuray, and GE Healthcare to explore these innovations’ technologies and expected outcomes.
- Chris Vessell, GM Therapeutics, SHINE Technologies
- Jamie McCoy, GM Theranostics & Radiotherapeutics, GE Healthcare
- Corey Lawson, VP of Product Strategy, Accuray
- Zachary Morris, Associate Professor, UW-Madison School of Medicine and Public Health
- Sue Wallace, CEO, Voximetry, Incorporated (moderator)
Examining the Economic Impact of Wisconsin’s Biohealth Industry
Our panel of industry experts will provide report analysis, highlight industry success stories, and discuss industry growth demands, and how companies can utilize the report data.
- Stephen Towe, CEO, Leo Cancer Care
- Craig Stanley, Founding Principal, Broadwing Advisors
- Rebecca Epperson, President, Chartwell Agency
- Jason Modest, Director of Manufacturing Science & Technology , Millipore Sigma
- Nicolas Paris, CEO, Gilson (moderator)
Second Annual Biohealth Communications Competition
In a world where misinformation is growing, we feel it is important for scientists to be able to discuss and explain their work in a way that the public can understand.
Watch as finalists of the Biohealth Communications competition, students and postdocs from around Wisconsin, flex their communication muscles while educating the biohealth industry about the important work they are doing.
There is still time for graduate and medical students to enter the competition for a chance to win cash prizes and to present at the Summit. Please go to this website to learn more and fill out the form for info on how to submit.
Lunch & Wisconsin Biohealth Awards Presentation
Sit back, chat, and enjoy a lovely catered lunch provided by Catering a Fresco. BioForward’s bi-annual Wisconsin Biohealth Economic Impact Report will be released at the event!
Celebrate the accomplishments of this year’s Wisconsin Biohealth Awards!
In 2015, BioForward launched the tradition of recognizing, on an annual basis, scientific and business achievements in the biohealth and life science industry. In the sixth year of the awards, BioForward is excited to continue recognizing this leadership and innovation that has brought Wisconsin to be among the top leaders in integrated health solutions.
2022 Award Winners:
It Takes A Village: Perspectives on the Biologic/Novel Modality Drug Development Journey
Moving next-generation and biologic therapies through the pipeline and to market is highly complex and fraught with risk. New targets and modalities emerge almost daily. It’s critical to quickly develop scalable processes that are aligned with pre-clinical, clinical, and commercial requirements for safety, manufacturability, and market access.
Our distinguished panelists will share their perspectives on current best-in-class approaches to facilitating scale-up transitions and give insight on how to leverage CRO, CDMO, and industry collaboration to improve and de-risk the development process.
- Sean Muthian, CTO & Strategy Leader for Mergers, Acquisitions & Alliances, Partnerships, Cytiva
- Erin Slosarek, Study Director, Labcorp
- Emily Schirmer, Senior Director, Process Development, Catalent
- Abhi Gupta, Senior Director, Global Gene Therapy, Pfizer Inc.
- Lorraine Cavanaugh, Global Account Executive, Cytiva (moderator)
Location: Promenade Hall
Emerging Growth Company Presentations
Always an attendee favorite, this returning event will feature start-ups/early-stage companies, who will present their company’s history, development, and future. You don’t want to miss the innovative future leaders of Wisconsin biohealth in this fun, high-energy session that is sure to inspire.
- Ayla Annac, CEO/President, InvivoSciences Inc.
- Nick Myers, Co-Founder & Chief Executive Officer, RedFox AI
- Britt Gottschalk, Founder & CEO, Geno.Me
- Guelay Bilen-Rosas, Founder & CEO, Ayrflo
- Jonathan Irwin, Co-Founder, Agulos Biotech
- Moderator- Janet White, Independent Business Advisor
Embracing diversity & inclusion through action and operations to create a sustainable environment of belonging
Trish Pena and Veronica Sandoval will present their companies’ diversity and inclusion initiatives and how these programs integrate into every aspect of their work. Learn how to foster a work environment of belonging and engagement with additional insights into diversity in clinical trials, health equity, and connections to ESG (Environmental, Social & Governance) initiatives.
Networking Reception & Career Fair
Location: Overture Hall Lobby
Now is your chance to celebrate!
Enjoy signature cocktails, and network with peers, event speakers, and BioForward Board Members. Don’t forget to talk to University student attendees as they peruse career fair tables.
Meet Our Sponsors
Swag & Networking Sponsors
Student Registration Sponsors (1 available)
Platinum Medallion Sponsor
Gold Medallion Sponsors
Silver Medallion Sponsors
Wisconsin Biohealth Summit 2021
Wondering what the Summit is all about? Check out videos from last year’s event- Moving Forward Together: How Wisconsin’s Biohealth Industry is Leading, Adapting & Evolving.
2021 Summit News
At the Wisconsin Biohealth Summit on Thursday, women leaders took the stage to discuss what it will take to ensure that their growing industry...
Read the full press release here BioForward Wisconsin, the collective voice of Wisconsin’s robust and comprehensive biohealth cluster,...